Think you may have found asbestos? Don’t wait – get peace of mind immediately with Airsafe.
We’ve got you covered with reliable asbestos testing. You’ll get a definitive answer quickly – on the same day if required.
Can you help me over the phone?
Sorry, our experts are unable to determine whether you’ve found asbestos in your home over the phone. Asbestos comes in many forms, and it’s impossible to tell whether something you’ve found is or isn’t asbestos based on a verbal description. Deciding whether you’ve found asbestos is only possible through a sample analysis under a microscope.
You also can't test for asbestos yourself. See the facts about so-called asbestos test kits.
See below for details on how to collect a sample for asbestos testing, then call us on (02) 9555 9034 to arrange for your sample to be tested.
Asbestos testing: What should I do now?
Asbestos in your home does not generally present a risk to you unless the material is broken, deteriorated, or disturbed.
However, if you do see dust you suspect contains asbestos fibres, you should get a sample to Airsafe for quick analysis. Our fast response will put your mind at rest. If the testing sample does turn out to be asbestos, we’ll give you expert advice on what to do next.
How to collect an asbestos sample for testing
You should always be careful when taking samples of materials you suspect contain asbestos. Here’s our easy step-by-step guide:
- Always use a P2 disposable dust mask when dealing with suspect materials. You can buy these at your local hardware store.
- Wet the material to suppress dust release.
- Carefully collect a sample using hand tools (sample size should be 5-100g).
- Place the sample in a click lock plastic bag. You can find these at any supermarket.
- Clean your hand tools thoroughly with a wet wipe then seal the wipe in its own click lock bag.
- Double bag your sample in a second sealable plastic bag.
- After sampling, you should use paint to seal any broken material with the potential to cause airborne asbestos dust.
- Complete this form, click "Get printable version" and print out the resulting page. Then put the form and the double-bagged sample in an envelope.
- If you can, bring your sample in person to Airsafe at 93 Beattie Street, Balmain NSW. (Call us first on (02) 9555 9034 to let us know you’re coming.)
- If you can’t bring your sample in person, call us on (02) 9555 9034 to make other arrangements.